There are many situations where you find yourself in need of renting a car. Car rental is a good solution if your car is being repaired, broken down or you didn’t buy a new one yet. Maybe you are going on a vacation, whether it is personal or business, and you want to move from place to place leisurely or in a classy way without having to hustle with locals in public transportation. Maybe you want to accompany your family on a trip, whether it is domestic or overseas. You may even think of renting a particular car just to try it out before you buy it.
You may be asking “What do I need to rent a car?” so the rest of this article will show you what you will need if you want to rent a car and how to track down the best car rental deal. To achieve this goal and avoid encountering a frustrating situation or incurring an extra payment, do your homework beforehand and tap into the information included in this article.
- ID: Make sure that you have a valid ID and that your name on the ID matches the name on your driver’s license and on your credit card.
- Valid driver’s license: You must have a valid driver’s license issued from your country.
- International Driver License: You may be asked to present your International Driving License, so make sure that you have one in case your domestic license is not familiar or not written in the Roman alphabet.
- Credit or debit card: Make sure that you have active credit or debit card with additional funds, because most companies will use it to charge you for the mileage overage or gas. Bear in mind, some rental companies will not accept debit cards.
- Insurance: You will be required to pay for optional auto insurance from the car rental company. It is advisable that you check before you pay for any insurance because you may be already covered by your employer or by your credit card or any other facility.
- The required age is from 25 to 70 years old. 21 to 24 years old renters may incur extra fees.
Other considerations and recommendations:
- To look for a car rental company, refer to either printed or online Yellow Pages, to search for car rental agencies or online websites such as Hertz, CarRentals.com, KAYAK, Enterprise and AutoSlash.com. Some of these yellow pages and websites have a map view so it will be easier for you to locate nearby car rental companies. Choose a company that has a large selection of cars and that gives you unlimited miles.
- Each company has its own rules and policy so make sure you call or e-mail the company to check it out and check out any hidden fees, surcharges or any penalty clause you may incur.
- If you have any driving offenses against your name, It may be difficult for you to be accepted as a renter.
- There are two main areas where you can rent cars from. Airport and downtown. Generally, renting from any place other than airports will be cheaper.
- Car rental rates are not constant, but rather they are unsteady. Rates vary depending on economy condition, state tax, service tax laws, the size and reputation of the rental company, occasions, demand, etc. To get the best rates, search as many companies as you can and make a list to save the rates and compare them with each other. It’s advisable that you book the car long in advance and recheck the rate so may find a better offer.
- Make a checklist to determine all your needs and the time of pick up and drop off beforehand.
- When using the car, do not use it on gravel or unpaved road. Instead, use it only on paved road to avoid paying any additional fees. You must return the car in good condition as you took it. Do not misuse the car.
- If you are going to rent the car for sightseeing, it is best to hire the car with its driver. It is especially recommended if you will rent in a foreign country.
- Most companies stipulate that you return the car with a full tank, so make sure that you return the car with a full tank to avoid the extra money you may incur.
- In some countries you may be required to pay for CDW (Collision Damage Waiver).
- You may pay an additional fee for extras such as GPS, child seat and bike racks.
In conclusion, think about it for a moment, if you rush and rent any car in a hurry, you will most likely incur extra money. On the other hand, if you take your time to research by calling many vehicle rental agencies and visiting famous car rental websites, you will definitely track down the best car rental deal that meets your need. Nowadays it is rather easy to do so thanks to the internet. You can visit many famous car rental companies online to see a lot of offers and travelling inspiration if you didn’t make up your mind yet as to where to go and for how much.
If you have any additional advice, feel free to add it in the comment section. Your thoughts are welcome.